His name was John. He use to fight for our nation, He was a wonderful husband and a wonderful father. At least until he came back to America that it. Once he came back he started drinking so much that it took over his life. No one really understands what its like to be over sea's. John and his family were leaving to come home from a Christmas party. John had a few to many drinks so Rachel, Johns sweetheart of a wife tried to take the car keys away from him.
"Hunn give me the keys, your drunk, I really dont mind driving home" She pleaded to him still trying to grab the keys.
"No! I drive will, Im drive to perfectly fine,!" He shouted at her
"I dont think you are john, you cant even talk straight, give me the keys please. If you drive you will end up getting in a car accident, Now give me the damn keys." She begged him
"No!! i this home driving car, I find said drive im too" He screamed at her falling over himself. Rachel did not want to fight so she proceeded to let him drive home. Worried because she knew weather or not she let him drive or she tried to get the keys that it was going to be a fight and she didnt want to get hit.
"Jamie sweetie, Please buckle up extra good. Your father is being very bad" She whispered to there eight year old daughter. Trying to hide the worry in her voice. Hoping nothing bad would happen to her angel.
"Okay mommy, I love you" Jamie whispered back, trying to make sure that her dad could not here them talking. Knowing that if john heard them talking bad about him the outcome would be really bad. On the way home they were pulling up to a red light,
"John slow down, its a red light,!" Rachel pleaded to her drunken husband, But john had no intention to listen to his now terrified wife. The last thing she heard was was a big slamming noise.
"Sir can you hear me?" the police officer questioned john.
"Uhm, what happened?" John groaned still feeling under the influence.
"Well sir, the man in the other car said you flew threw the red light, You tried turning and hit the curb. You rolled you vehicle," the police man explained to a still drunken john.
"Where... Where is my wife and daughter?' John interrogated the officer,
"Sir, I dont know how to tell you this, But... I'm sorry they didnt make it. Your car was so crushed, there was no way they could have even had a chance to make it. Again i am so sorry sir" the officer responded trying not to cry.
It has been three years since John has lost his family in that tragic accident. You would think that because alcohol was the reason he lost his family that he would want to stay away from it, But honestly it has been quiet the opposite. Everyone tried to help john fight this nasty disease, John tried to quit once but as soon as the anniversary of the accident came around again we got a call from the police station. They said that he was going to spend the night in the drunk tank. John had spent his hole pay check on drinks at the bar and got a fight with someone and ended up putting him in the hospital.
"John you have to quit this, you drinking is what killed Rachel and Jamie. They would want you to get help john!" I pleaded to him but he was just ignoring me.
"No Brooke! I do not have a problem! and I do not need to get help for something that i do not have a problem with!" John screamed at me. John was really mad this time so i refused to push the subject any further. John drank anytime he could even if he didnt have the money, He would take his friends out and they would end up buying him drinks. He got so bad that he sold everything in his house just to be able to buy himself drinks. He doesnt let anyone into his life anymore, He pushes everyone away. He doesnt realize that he has a disease and he just doesnt care about anything anymore.
It has been a week since i seen john. It was his birthday, He lives with out parents agian because he has sold just about everything he owned, and got the house taken away because he cant stay sober long enough to keep a job.
"John are you home?" I screamed throughout our parents two story house. There was no answer, and i couldnt find him anywhere. He had to be here somewhere i thought to myself. He can't drive because he doesnt have his license anymore or even a car, But then again who would even trust him to borrow a car. I walked down the hall to get to my parents spare bedroom and I was devastated at what I seen next.
"Oh my god!" I screamed as i ran to the phone in my parents bedroom,
"Hello, I need an ambulance here!" I pleaded to them
"Mam, I need your location," The voice on the other end questioned me,
"Im at 3200 Jeffrey road, Please Hurry!" i yelled as i panicked. The lady confirmed that there was someone on the way and told me that i needed to calm down. What seemed like ten minutes later, The paramedics were at my parents house.
"Is this your boyfriend miss?" The paramedic questioned me, and to be honest I couldnt help but chuckle at that. We were twin brother and sister, He looked just like me.
"No... He.. He's my brother, Please tell me he is ok?" I questioned concerned
"Im sorry.. We couldnt save him. His alcolol level was way above the legal limit. Looks like he drank more than the average person should ever consume today, And we found some marks on his arm. It looks like he had cut him self. I am so sorry for your loss." He stated. As he walked away he handed me a letter in a ziplock baggy,
"Dear Brooke,
I'm sorry for all the pain that i have caused. Please tell mom and dad that i am sorry and they do not have to worry about me anymore. I am going to finally be with my Rachel and Jamie again. I dont want to hurt anymore. I know that i have been sick, But knowing that i caused my beautiful and amazing wife and daughter to suffer. I should have just Let Rachel drive that night. Why i had to have that many drinks i dont know. Going to war ruined me, i should have gotten help instead of drinking and hiding all of my problems. I am so sorry that i ruined your life. Please tell mom and dad that i love them and tell them please dont feel sorry for me. I deserved it.
John"
I couldnt help but fall to my knees, I started crying so hard that it felt like i have a waterfall coming out of my eyes. The only thing i could get out was,
"He would still be here, If he just let us help him"
No comments:
Post a Comment